Bicycle basics on campus
Warmer weather means more Tigers riding bikes at Mizzou
Story by: Sara Diedrich
It happens every spring: As temperatures rise so do the number of bicyclists traveling across campus.
With more bikes on the move, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and to know the rules of the road, no matter how you get around Mizzou. Remember, drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians must work together to make campus a safe place.
Everyone has a part to play. Note: Certain parts of campus are closed to vehicular traffic from 8:15 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
Here’s what to remember if you’re on bicycle:
- Wear a helmet. It could save your life.
- Obey all signs and signals — that includes stopping at stop signs and red lights.
- Ride in the direction of traffic.
- Be prepared to yield to pedestrians.
- Never pass a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians.
- Don’t ride on sidewalks within the business district, which is north of Elm Street.
- When traveling slower than the flow of traffic, ride close to the right side of the road.
- Ride abreast only when not impeding traffic.
- Use a light and reflex mirrors or reflective clothing when bicycling at night; be as visible as possible.
- Avoid distractions, such as listening to headphones, texting or answering the phone.
- Park bicycles in designated bike racks.
Here are some tips from the University of Missouri Police Department for keeping you bicycle safe:
- Register your bicycle with MUPD
- Obey state statutes, city ordinances and MU regulations for bicycles
- The City of Columbia requires all bicycles be registered. Registering your bike with MUPD meets the city ordinance.
- Invest in a good U-lock for your bicycle. If you can, bring your bicycle home or inside during long breaks.
Box of information:
Tune up your bike for free this spring
Mechanics with the Bike Resource Center, which is a part of MU’s Environmental Leadership Office, are providing free bike repairs this spring. Weather-permitting the Bike Resource Center mechanics will be located at Speaker’s Circle during the following days and times throughout the spring semester:
- Tuesday 11:15 a.m. to 12:40 p.m.
- Wednesday noon to 2:40 p.m.
- Thursday 10 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
- Friday noon to 2:40 p.m.
Please note that our student mechanics will not be at Speaker’s Circle if the temperature is below 50 degrees and/or if it is raining.