Scooter safety on campus
Story by: Sara Diedrich
As Safe Mizzou 2018 gets underway this week, the University of Missouri Police Department reminds riders of electric scooters that they must follow the same rules of the road as other motorized vehicles.
Here are a few reminders of how to ride safely and avoid injury:
- Remain on the road — NOT sidewalks — while operating a scooter. City of Columbia Ordinance forbids operating a scooter on the sidewalk, as does MU.
- Wear a helmet.
- Obey stop signs, red lights and yield signs.
- Be prepared to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Pedestrians, not scooters, have the right of way at crosswalks and intersections.
- Park scooters in bike racks.